Wisdom Tooth Post Op
THIRD MOLAR (WISDOM TOOTH) EXTRACTION POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS (Click HERE for Printable Instructions)
- For the first 24 hours following surgery, we recommend a responsible adult be available to assist you in your needs.
- Please avoid rinsing today. Begin using mouth rinse (Chlorhexidine) tomorrow and continue using until your post-op appointment. You may begin brushing your teeth tomorrow.
- Keep your head elevated at all times for the first 2-3 days following surgery. This will help decrease swelling and pain.
- DO NOT SMOKE. Smoking in any amount in the first few days can cause a dry socket, and will dramatically delay wound healing.
- It is important to resume oral intake and drink plenty of fluids. Start with clear liquids and limit the diet to soft, cool foods for the first day. Slowly advance the diet as comfort dictates.
- If a gauze dressing was placed over the surgical site leave it in place 2 hours after arriving home. The gauze may be removed to facilitate eating, drinking and taking medications.
- It is normal to have some bleeding for several hours after the surgery and occasional oozing for 24-48 hours. Moist gauze packs or tea bags can be placed over the site and held with gentle pressure to minimize bleeding. The gauze packs may be left out once the bleeding has tapered off.
- DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages, drive, or operate machinery for 24 hours following your surgery. DO NOT combine pain medication with alcohol.
- Swelling is to be expected and usually reaches its maximum during the first three days. Apply ice to the side of the face 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off as often as possible for the first 48 hours.
If you have been prescribed an antibiotic and are currently taking oral contraceptives you should use an alternate method of birth control for the remainder of this cycle.
TAKE FOOD WITH ALL MEDICATIONS
Tylenol 3: Pain medication (Tylenol and Codeine) **Will cause drowsiness
Ibuprofen: Pain and anti-inflammatory
Chlorhexidine: Mouth rinse
DAY OF SURGERY
-Take Tylenol 3 immediately before numbness wears off
-Two hours later take Ibuprofen
-Two hours later take Tylenol 3
**Continue alternating these medications in this pattern until bedtime.
TWO DAYS AFTER SURGERY
-Begin using mouth rinse.
-Take ibuprofen three times a day at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
-You can take the Tylenol 3 also if needed but wait two hours after last ibuprofen dose.